Yakety Yak Blah Blah Blah Blah

Yakety Yak Blah Blah Blah Blah


Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush (21 October 2006 - 9:24 a.m.)

This is one week Iíll be glad to see come to an end. I had medical appointments three days in a row, and have another one with the ENT doctor to look forward to on Monday. This past Tuesday, it was the Rheumatologist. As usual, she felt the muscles in my neck, shoulders and upper back, and remarked that they are much too tight. She also expressed frustration that none of the muscle relaxers have helped. How does she think I feel?

Dr. Rheumatologist went to her office to look up other muscle relaxers (weíve already tried quite a few), and decided to prescribe an older one Ė parafon forte. (The pharmacist tech didnít even recognize the name, and had to consult with the pharmacist.) Dr. R also gave me a prescription for painkillers, which is a relief. The last one was written over a year ago, and I was wondering what I was going to do when my supply ran out. (I take them sparingly, so Iíve been able to hoard a fair amount.)

I took the prescriptions to the pharmacy that evening, and Daniel picked them up the next day. When he brought them home, I checked the painkiller bottle to make sure there were two refills, and saw that there were none. Sigh. I called the pharmacy and explained that the prescription indicated there are supposed to be two refills for this medication. The pharmacist checked the prescription and said it looked like a zero to him and everyone else there. It was clearly a two, but I didnít feel up to arguing the point when I knew I couldnít win the battle. So, I called my doctor the next morning, and had her handle it for me.

On Thursday, I went for a hearing test. The results were fine, so nothing more needs to be said about that. Itís Wednesdayís appointment that I really want to talk about. Thatís when I saw the neurologist. This was the first time I have seen a doctor enter an examining room with a sheepish look on his face, and I must admit that I got a kick out of it. It was also nice to see that he is still human. Sadly, too many doctors seem to have lost their humanity.

Dr. Neurologist apologized profusely for canceling my previous appointments. I needled him a little bit about holidays being marked on calendars, so he should be able to schedule accordingly, and we moved on to why I was there. My hospital admission is scheduled for Monday, October 30th. At least, I think it is.

The woman in charge of hospital admissions had already left by the time I was finished talking to the doctor, and I was advised that she would call me the following morning. I left my work and home phone numbers. She did not call on Thursday, so I called the office that afternoon before they closed. I was informed that the woman I needed to speak to was working in a different office, and would call me the next day. Again, she did not. I donít even know which hospital Iím being admitted to!

Not trusting myself to speak calmly to a member of the office staff, I waited until I was sure office hours were over so I would get the answering service. I told the person I spoke to that I wanted Dr. Neurologist to know that I was assured two days in a row that I would get a call from the woman in charge of hospital admissions, but I did not hear from her. What will probably happen, though, is that the office staff will intercept the message Monday morning, and the doctor will never know about this negligence.

I canít believe this is happening. On second thought, yes I can. Argh.

Song of the Day: Will it Go Round in Circles by Billy Preston

last ~ next

6 comments so far

join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
Powered by NotifyList.com